Thursday, March 29, 2012

Shade and Honey


Years ago, when I started digging in on everything Christian Bale had or was working as an actor, I came across a movie called Laurel Canyon (2002). It had a cast of which I was very fond of, but again, the reason that lead me to watch it was the Welsh actor. 

After seeing it I became fan of other actors who were almost (if not entirely) anonymous to me. I'm talking about Kate Beckinsale and Alessandro Nivola, this last one performing one of my favorite moments of  Laurel Canyon.

Nivola portrays a rock star, trying to get his album done and for that, he isolates himself in a studio owned by his girlfriend, played by Frances McDormand (by the way, this is not the synopses, just one of the character's background).
During his music sessions, he plays a track that instantly came across as a sweet and heartfelt ballad.

I was hooked!
Those next weeks, the song was on loop and to this day, I still hear it from time to time. In fact, listening to it recently inspired me to share the the song, the movie and the story behind it.

While doing some research to write about it, I found out that the song Shade and Honey was taken out of the album Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain (2006) by Sparklehorse. I also found out that the lead singer wrote the song for Nivola to sing it in the film.




As for the film directed by Lisa Cholodenko (who also directed/wrote The Kids Are All Right), to simply put it, is an emotional drama of mixed emotions, twists and turns... It goes deep into messed up relationships, be it regarding love, lust, passion... or even between family and friends.

It wasn't a success, but it's definitely one of my favorite movies!




I could look in your face
For a thousand years
It’s like a civil war
Of pain and of cheer

But if you was a horse
I could help you with your chains
I could ride you through the fields
By your fiery mane

May your shade be sweet
And float upon the lakes
Where the sun will be
Made of honey

I'll cry gardens while you burn
'Cause no one here can save you
She’s returning to the Earth
But one day she’ll be silver

The stars are dying in my chest
Till I see you again
She was born with the wings of a hawk
Where she combs her hair with blood

May your shade be sweet
And float upon the lakes
Where the sun will be
Made of honey

May your shade be sweet
And float upon the lakes
Where the sun will be
Made of honey

May your shade be sweet
May your shade be sweet
And float upon the lakes...

May your shade be sweet

No comments: